Diary of a Mac Virgin

Basically the idea is to document my experience of getting used to a MacBook with OS X Tiger and familiarise myself with Blogger at the same time. That's right, I've never blogged before either.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Day 3 - 2 steps forward, 1 step back

Probably the most interesting thing since yesterday is that I discovered few things I could do with, and have therefore made a few changes to, the dock. It's now in a column at the left edge of my screen. I've added a shortcut to the Applications folder and gotten rid of a lot of the Dock's shortcuts to things in the Apps folder that I'm not likely to use much. The overall effect is much tidier and gives me more height for windows in the central area of the screen.

Another discovery (after a late night exchange of emails with BiL) is that I can use the Terminal in the Utilities folder to access the web server on which my sites are hosted.

Although I could use it for FTP as well, I'm used to a GUI interface for that. BiL suggested Cyberduck for FTP and a few other things like the Camino browser and a couple of suggestions for programing editors.

It's at this point that I've taken a step back because its occurred to me that I'm taking on too many new things all at once. Obviously a lot of it is unavoidable but amongst other things, I've been using Firefox and FireFTP on the PC so presumably there is some sense in going with the Mac version of them, at lease until I get a bit more settled with some of the other stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home