Diary of a Mac Virgin

Basically the idea is to document my experience of getting used to a MacBook with OS X Tiger and familiarise myself with Blogger at the same time. That's right, I've never blogged before either.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Day 5 - Moving Forwards

I didn't make an entry on here yesterday because I spent most of the day doing so programing stuff for one of my websites; for which I still need my PC until I'm fully set up on here. I did actually download and install the Camino browser and Smultron (a programers text editor), but didn't do anything more with them until today.

My brother-in-law (BiL) suggested Camino saying it was fast. I didn't really see that at as a big issue, Safari seemed fine to me, but I'm already starting to be impressed by Camino. It is in fact so fast I was afraid at first that it was showing me cached copies of things, but it isn't. It really does seem to be ultra-quick.

Smultron was one of four editors that BiL suggested I take a look at. I chose to try Smultron first out of the four because it looked the least cluttered; vaguely similar to EditPlus that I use on the PC. Although there have been occasions in the past when I've owned and used feature rich editors I generally haven't used the 'extra' features as I prefer to do most things myself. I haven't given it a thorough testing yet but it looks like Smultron will do what I need.

The only other thing today is that I re-calibrated the battery. You know the thing where you charge the battery right up, then run it down to flat? The thing the manual says you should endeavour to do within the first week of ownership and then every couple of months after that to prolong the life of the battery? And yes, before anybody comments on it, I KNOW I'm the only person on the planet who bothers to do that. I take backups too; how square is that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home