Diary of a Mac Virgin

Basically the idea is to document my experience of getting used to a MacBook with OS X Tiger and familiarise myself with Blogger at the same time. That's right, I've never blogged before either.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Day 9 - Book Shopping

I decided not to bother with the 30 mile trip to the nearest decent bookshop and did the 120 mile trip to the REALLY BIG bookshop instead. The results were surprising.

I'd anticipated spending a few quid and coming away with at least a couple of different books about the MacBook and OS X but in the end I only bought one, at a cost of ten quid: The Rough Guide to Macs & OS X version 10.4 Tiger. ISBN: 1-84353-553-X.

The shop had about three dozen books about Macs and OS X. Some related to Jaguar and Panther, and of the Tiger books most seemed to do little more than give the same kind of overview that's in the Help files or on the Apple website. The others offered to show me how to get to grips with the underlying UNIX system. Erm, not just yet I don't think.

I chose the "Rough Guide" because while I was assessing the other books I found myself reading this one. I looked things up in the others but with this one I found that interesting things were catching my eye as I flicked though it. It's also stuffed full of links to websites for Mac related stuff and therefore promises access to much more information than is contained on its own pages.

Of course this did leave me with small the problem of what to do with the rest of the cash that I'd anticipated spending however my partner managed to solve that one for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home