Diary of a Mac Virgin

Basically the idea is to document my experience of getting used to a MacBook with OS X Tiger and familiarise myself with Blogger at the same time. That's right, I've never blogged before either.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Oolite - Too Real?

I'm not going to keep rattling on about Oolite but I had a 'strange' experience last night that's kind of interesting:

I haven't mentioned this before but the fact is that I had to give up normal work about 10 years ago when I got CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). It means that I'm unemployable because while there are days when I'm fine, there are many other days when I'm 'useless'. Working Monday to Friday would be impossible (I wouldn't be there half the time) and as I never know how I'm going to be on any given day it's also very difficult for me to plan anything or commit to deadlines. I always have to make contingency plans and/or reserve the option to back out at the last minute.

Anyway, back to Oolite. One of the new features is that you can convert some of the cargo space into passenger berths and at any given space station there are usually about half a dozen people wanting to get to other systems. The prices they are willing to pay and the times by which they need to be there vary. So, after checking the star charts to see where they want to go you can choose whether or not to take the contract to get them there.

Having spent a while running back and forth between Lave and Zaonce I'd added various upgrades to my ship and had a couple of thousand credits in the bank. I observed that there were two passengers wanting to get to systems that were about five systems away. So I decided to convert some of the cargo hold, take the contracts and plot a course that would allow me to buy and sell a few things along the way.

Suddenly, the whole thing changed because rather than flitting happily between systems trading goods in my own sweet time I was now under pressure to meet a deadline. It ceased to be fun and I nearly bit Dee's head off when she interrupted me to ask if I wanted another cup of tea. The sense of relief I felt when I dropped the passengers off (on time) at their destination was so huge that I sold the passenger berths (at a loss) and have vowed never to take on any more.

Too realistic?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home