Diary of a Mac Virgin

Basically the idea is to document my experience of getting used to a MacBook with OS X Tiger and familiarise myself with Blogger at the same time. That's right, I've never blogged before either.

Friday, October 27, 2006

MacBook Memory Upgrade

My memory upgrade arrived this morning. Installing it is pretty easy as per instructions that are out on the web. One thing I would say however is: make sure you really do have a teeny-weeny cross head screwdiver to hand as you'll get nowhere without it.

Having installed it I'm finding that I can have all of my normal working software fired up, plus NeoOffice in case I need to refer to something in a spreadsheet (I have a few where I keep information about the various sites I maintain), and I can still fire up GIMPShop without it starting to swap stuff to disk.

To be honest it all seems to fit into 1gb of memory so I guess I would have gotten away with upgrading to 1gb instead of maxing it out to 2gb. I reckon however that the extra will come in handy if/when I start mucking about with audio visual stuff. Another issue of course is that I had to remove the 512mb that came in the MacBook in order to install the upgrade and if I'd gone for 1gb I'd have had to removed that at a later date had I wanted to go up to 2gb. Thus I decided to go for the full 2gb but I'm still a bit miffed with Apple for shipping it with only 512mb. 512mb might be enough if you just want the thing for answering email and browsing the web but I anticipate that most people who buy a MacBook will want to do a little more with it than that, and given the number of fun toys on here, I can't really see how Apple could doubt that?

1 Comments:

At 11:47 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

fantastic wok guys i really like your work keep posting like this thanks

Mac Memory Upgrade

 

Post a Comment

<< Home